About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Tuesday, October 04, 2011
Rule based morality better?
* Hmm, turns out ethical philosophers aren't more ethical than other kinds of philosophers...
* Listen carefully. A good example of why libertarians live in a parallel (and fanciful) universe.
* Email panic...
* How studying tweets allows us to follow people's changes in mood. Pretty much the same across cultures.
* Jon Stewart to Republican voters: you are seriously confused.
* Practical philosophy...
* More on the challenges of naturalism.
* A precis of Pinker's new book, in case you don't feel like reading the whole shebang.