About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Friday, November 15, 2013
* An extremely depressing, and yet likely very realistic, take on the end of our civilization. (Hint: it's already happened.)
* Malcolm Gladwell visits Glenn Beck (not a joke).
* And speaking of headaches for physicists: these are some of those originating from the discovery of the Higgs.
* Why is it that no actresses over 40 seem to believe in science? And why the hell do so many people listen to them?
* Yet another neuroscientist has something interesting to say, yet philosophically naive, about morality.
* Economics: a moral science?
* Speaking of neuroscience: here is why it isn't the answer to everything.
* The Eros of Philosophy.