About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Friday, May 18, 2012
* The United States loses over $71 billion per year in tax exemptions for religious groups, according to a new article in Free Inquiry magazine.
* The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops is investigating the Girl Scouts because it’s not sure the group is Catholic enough. No, really.
* Taxpayer-funded crisis pregnancy centers are using religion to oppose abortion, according to the American Independent.
* Marriage has always been a relationship between one man and one woman, you say? Then apparently you haven’t read the Bible.
* T.M. Luhrmann discusses how liberals and Democrats might be able to reach out to the evangelical community this election.
* Surprise! A House Republican has introduced a bill that would protect Planned Parenthood funding.
* Who – if anyone – is to blame when robots make mistakes? RedOrbit reports.
* For the third year in a row, polling shows that a narrow majority of Americans consider gay and lesbian relations morally acceptable.