About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Friday, November 04, 2011
its latest lawsuit.
* Deborah Nelson just finished a one-year investigation into Ringling Bros.’ treatment of its animals, and the resulting article paints an ugly picture.
* Some research apparently suggests that moral philosophers are not morally better than socially comparable non-ethicists.
* Neuroscientists who gave rats a marijuana-like compound, put them in a maze and measured their brain waves, found unusually chaotic communication between brain regions linked to memory formation and complex behaviors.
* The White House has provided a disappointing response to the recent petitions to remove “In God We Trust” from U.S. currency and take “Under God” out the Pledge of Allegiance.
* A private university in Georgia is forcing its roughly 278 employees to sign a statement that rejects pre-marital sex, homosexuality, and drinking in public — or risk termination.
* Andrew Cohen discusses what George Washington believed about the Constitution in The Atlantic.
* Laura Bassett details the forces behind the current campaign against reproductive rights.