About Rationally Speaking
Rationally Speaking is a blog maintained by Prof. Massimo Pigliucci, a philosopher at the City University of New York. The blog reflects the Enlightenment figure Marquis de Condorcet's idea of what a public intellectual (yes, we know, that's such a bad word) ought to be: someone who devotes himself to "the tracking down of prejudices in the hiding places where priests, the schools, the government, and all long-established institutions had gathered and protected them." You're welcome. Please notice that the contents of this blog can be reprinted under the standard Creative Commons license.
Friday, February 05, 2010
* The infamous, severely flawed paper that originally linked vaccines and autism has finally been officially repudiated by the journal that published it.
* Great interview with David Albert, a Columbia philosopher of science, touching on questions like: How is our everyday notion of time flawed? and What are some of the biggest misconceptions about science? (Note: you can click "Interview transcript" if you'd rather read than watch.)
* Ricky Gervais explains Genesis.
* Hundreds of protestors last week downed entire bottles of homeopathic pills, to prove they're ineffectual.
* Six fields in which the "professionals" don't know what they're talking about, from stock experts to wine tasters.